Craftsman makes tools and equipment for everyone from DIYers to farmers and industrial manufacturers. They were the tool brand for Sears since the 1920’s before getting bought by Stanley Black & Decker at the beginning of 2017. Along with a wide variety of hand and power tools, Craftsman also produces some lawn and garden equipment, tool storage units, work clothing, boots, and electronics. They are traditionally known as a great American manufacturer, but do they still produce their products here after getting bought? Let’s dive into their product lines and where they are manufactured.
Verdict: Is Craftsman Made in the USA?
The majority of Craftsman tools are not produced in the United States. They use many third party manufacturers to make their various products. Beginning in 2010, many of Craftsman’s hand tools (manufactured by Apex Tool Group) began to be assembled in China in Taiwan. Craftsman uses another manufacturer called Western Forge to make tools like screwdrivers, adjustable wrenches, pliers, and bigger mechanic tool sets – these products are still made in the U.S.
Here are some of the other companies that Craftsman uses to make their tools: Techtronic Industries (portable power tools), Dewalt (hand power tools), Emerson Electric Company (bench and stationary tools), DeVilbiss Air Power (air compressors), Waterloo Industries (tool storage), and The Chamberlain Brand (garage door openers).
Unfortunately, Craftsman isn’t super clear on their website where the origin of every product is, so your best bet is to call them or do your own secret shopping like we did. They do call out whenever a product is assembled in the USA though, albeit with materials from overseas.
Popular American Made Craftsman Tools
- Screwdrivers – Murphy, NC
- Adjustable wrenches and pliers – Colorado Springs, CO
Popular Craftsman Tools Not Made in the USA
- Portable power tools – produced by company based in Hong Kong
- Air compressors – China
- Tool boxes and chests – Mexico and China (good American made tool box alternatives here)
- Bench vises (best American made bench vises here)
- Cordless drills
Find an American Made Alternative
- Best Portable Generators Made in the USA
- Full list of tool brands made in America
- Are any Stanley Black & Decker tools made in the USA?
- Are DeWalt Tools made in the USA?
- Are Harbor Freight U.S. General tool boxes made in the USA?
Have You Seen Our YouTube Channel Yet?
New videos every month on how to find products made in the USA, which companies to avoid, exclusive interviews with great American made brands, reviews, and more.